Sunday, January 22, 2012

What do my Windsor Newton gouache colors correspond to on the color wheel?

I know this may sound ridiculous but I bought 12 tubes of gouache and I was wondering what each one was on the color wheel. I figured out some but I'm unsure of others.



Here is what I have figured out:

Primary Yellow - (Yellow)

Primary Blue - (Blue)

Primary Red - (Red)

Turquoise Blue (Blue Green)



Here is what I'm unsure of:

Golden Yellow

Marigold Yellow

Orange Lake Deep

Magenta

Light Purple

Periwinkle Blue

Brilliant Green

Permanent Green Light



Again, I know this sounds ridiculous but please help me out.



Thanks

What do my Windsor Newton gouache colors correspond to on the color wheel?
It doesn't sound ridiculous at all! Different paints from different manufacturers, with different names that are changed from time to time... it can be very confusing.



The other thing that can be misleading is that commercially printed colour wheels, such as you might find in books, change in appearance over time as the ink fades.



The best way to keep your paint performance predictable is to make a sample wheel yourself. It doesn't have to be all beautiful pie shapes (unless you want it that way); the main thing is to get the three primaries arranged 120 degrees apart around the wheel, then mix the secondaries (green, orange, violet) and put them in between, and then the tertiaries (blue violet, red orange, yellow green etc.) in between those.



Then you will be able to take, for example, magenta, and determine that it falls somewhere between red and violet.

Do this by painting a small sample and holding it next to your wheel.



Paint manufacturers sometimes provide charts of their colours, but these can vary, if printed, because ink is not the same as gouache. I always like to make a quick reference chart for any new medium. Then it's always WYSIWYG and much less troublesome.



Also, some colours have white added which can be confusing. I don't know W%26amp;N periwinkle blue but I suspect it might be one of those.



Good luck! Have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment