Sunday, January 22, 2012

What do my Windsor Newton gouache colors correspond to on the color wheel?

I know this may sound ridiculous but I bought 12 tubes of gouache and I was wondering what each one was on the color wheel. I figured out some but I'm unsure of others.



Here is what I have figured out:

Primary Yellow - (Yellow)

Primary Blue - (Blue)

Primary Red - (Red)

Turquoise Blue (Blue Green)



Here is what I'm unsure of:

Golden Yellow

Marigold Yellow

Orange Lake Deep

Magenta

Light Purple

Periwinkle Blue

Brilliant Green

Permanent Green Light



Again, I know this sounds ridiculous but please help me out.



Thanks

What do my Windsor Newton gouache colors correspond to on the color wheel?
Some of those colors may not BE on your color wheel. Many are blends various other colors and tints of the primary and blended colors.



Think about what you'd get if you mixed orange with a small bit of blue. These are opposite on your color wheel. You'd get a kind of brown, which is a color that wouldn't show up on your wheel. Or mix blue, with a small bit of orange and add a tint of white. This would be a kind of "slate" color, which is, also, not on your wheel.



You mentioned "light purple" That could be, simply, the pure, secondary color of blue and red, with white added to make a lighter tint.



Sometimes, color names are very arbitrary. What is the difference between purple, violet and lavender? Why is marigold yellow called that? Periwinkle?



Look at the names on the colors on a BIG box of Crayola crayons. Do they all fit on your color wheel?


No comments:

Post a Comment